As simple as they are, these Cheerios nuggets are downright addicting. I could not stop ‘sampling’ them as I packaged them up as a gift for our neighbors. I admit that a good number of them didn’t quite find their way into the bag. Nicely sweet, definitely crunchy, and slightly salty thanks to roasted peanuts, these make for a great treat for a crowd.
I may change up the recipe for Cheerios nuggets just a tad next time. I really liked the contrast of the salty peanuts against the sweetness of the cereal and the caramel sauce. Perhaps I’ll add more nuts next time, and mix it up a bit. Perhaps some roasted pecans, even almonds, would be nice too.
Also try my pizza pretzel nuggets.
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups Cheerios cereal
- 2 cups roasted peanuts Louisiana-style
- Preheat oven to 250 F.
- Grease two 9×13 pans.
- Also grease a large heat-proof bowl. Add the Cheerios and peanuts to the bowl and mix.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat add the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt. Stir constantly until the mixture begins to bubble around the edges, and then cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the baking soda. The mixture will turn blonde in color and will be light and fluffy. Use a spatula to combine and coat the cereal mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the two pans and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 15 minutes.
- Break the cereal into bite-sized pieces and let cool completely, another 30 minutes.
Nutritional values are approximate.