By golly, this pepperoni jerky tastes EXACTLY like pepperoni. I didn’t need a pizza to get that great cured sausage flavor. I just needed my Nesco Snackmaster Pro, some ground beef (I used top round that I ground myself after first trimming off any fat), and a package of seasoning from Hi Mountain.
Make sure you rotate your trays every 2 hours or so when making pepperoni (or any flavor) jerky on the Nesco Snackmaster Pro. The bottom trays will not dry as quickly as those on top. Rotating the trays will give you nice, even drying and perfect jerky on every level.
Also try my Hi Mountain cracked pepper ‘n garlic jerky.
Check out my guide to using the Nesco Snackmaster Pro. You will be making fantastic jerky at home in no time at all!
Pepperoni Jerky on the Nesco Snackmaster Pro
- 2 pounds ground beef lean
- 2 tablespoons Hi Mountain Mandarin Pepperoni Jerky Seasoning and Cure
- 2 teaspoons curing salt Comes with the seasoning. Optional if you’re going to refrigerate the finished product
- 1/2 cup water
- Place beef in a resealable bag or container.
- In a small bowl whisk together the seasoning, curing salt and water. Pour over the meat and seal. Shake to coat.
- Refrigerate the meat for up to 8 hours, shaking or massaging every hour or so to get the marinade distributed and absorbed evenly.
- Remove meat from the marinade and add to a jerky gun. Squeeze out onto Nesco trays. Do not overlap meat.
- Add the dehydrator top, set to maximum temperature setting and dehydrate for 5 hours, rotating the trays (bottom to top) every 2 hours or so.
- To test for doneness remove a piece and let cool slightly. Try to bend the meat. If it gives and starts to tear at the bend it is done. If it bends without tearing return to the dehydrator and let it run another 15 minutes and test again. If the meat is crunchy it is overdone but still good. It’s really a personal preference as to how you like your jerky. Soft, chewy, crunchy. There’s no wrong here.
- Let cool before storing in an airtight container.
Nutritional values are approximate.