If no one had been looking, I would’ve just put down my spoon and picked up my bowl of creamy pimento cheese soup and poured it right into my mouth. I know, not a pretty image but a spoon was just slowing me down. I could not get over how much I loved how creamy, rich and cheesy this soup was. It was like a tasty velvety bowl of happiness. For just a little contrast I added a small handful of homemade copycat Ruby Tuesday croutons, my favorites.
Creamy pimento cheese soup is absolutely perfect warmed up on a cold winter day, but also just as good on a hot day served at room temperature or thereabouts. Next time I’ll definitely double the recipe because the soup disappeared so fast. All I was soon left with was a memory. I’d rather have had another bowl!
Also try my cheddar cheese soup and my delicious mac and cheese soup.
Creamy Pimento Cheese Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 8 ounce pimentos drained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cream
- 3/4 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions divided
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Croutons for garnish
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and pimentos and saute for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Whisk in the stock and cream. Bring to a simmer and reduce to a simmer and simmer, stirring often, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add green onions and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with green onions and croutons.
Nutritional values are approximate.