This is not the first time I’ve said it: The messier a sandwich looks, the better it’ll be. Just one glance and you know that this Oh Boy Po Boy is nothing but crazy good. And mighty messy. Blackened boneless chicken thighs. Roasted red bell peppers. Caramelized onions. And yes, cheese sauce. And lots of it.
The chicken can be cooked on the stovetop or on a grill. For the red bell peppers I’ve found myself using jarred deli strips more which are always in season, are reasonably priced and contain no preservatives. They make for a great shortcut. I also like to chop the peppers and add them to omelets.
Also try my Creole debris po boy.
Oh Boy Po Boy
This is not the first time I’ve said it: The messier a sandwich looks, the better it’ll be. Just one glance and you know that this Oh Boy Po Boy is nothing but crazy good.
Servings 1 sandwich
- 1 6 inch po boy bun or French bread
- 2 chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- Blackening seasoning store-bought or use my recipe below
- 2 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed
- 1/2 small onion sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons roasted red bell pepper sliced (I use Mezzetta's deli-sliced roasted red peppers)
- Vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- red pepper flake to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Warm bread in the oven.
- Meanwhile, toss the thighs with a splash of oil and blackening seasoning, to taste. I recommend that you not be shy with the seasoning. Get the chicken well-coated.
- Heat a medium skillet over high heat and add the chicken. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is done and measures 165 F. Remove from heat, let cool slightly then slice into thin strips. Keep warm.
- Add the onion to the skillet with a splash of oil and saute for 20-30 minutes or until caramelized. Remove and keep warm.
- Wipe out the skillet, reduce heat to medium and add the cheese. Melt, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble sandwich by adding sliced chicken, peppers, onions, cheese.
- Serve with plenty of napkins.
- Combine all ingredients. Store extra seasoning in an air-tight container.
You can also grill the chicken after tossing it with the oil and seasoning.
Calories: 728kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 52g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 245mg | Sodium: 1500mg | Potassium: 1099mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2361IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 540mg | Iron: 10mg
Nutritional values are approximate.