This is not the first time I’ve said it: The messier a sandwich looks, the better it’ll be. Just one glance and you know that this Oh Boy Po Boy is nothing but crazy good. And mighty messy. Like ‘get a bib’ messy. Blackened boneless chicken thighs, tender and as juicy as you can get. Roasted red bell peppers. Caramelized onions. And yes, cheese sauce. And lots of it. Oh heck of a lot of cheese sauce. More if you want more, it’s your sandwich. Heck, serve it with more cheese sauce on the side for dipping. No one is going to judge you.
The chicken can be cooked on the stovetop or on a grill. For the red bell peppers I’ve found myself using jarred deli strips more and more which are always in season, are reasonably priced and contain no preservatives. They make for a great shortcut. I also like to chop the peppers and add them to omelets. Or just put them on burgers on grilled hot dogs. They’re lightly sweet and are great on fattier (I mean juicier) meaty dishes.
You can substitute store-bought blackened seasoning if you want. I like making it home so I can control the salt. Actually, mine contains no salt!
Also try my ham and Swiss po boy.
Oh Boy Po Boy
- 1 6 inch po boy bun or French bread
- 2 chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- Blackening seasoning store-bought or use my recipe below
- 2 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed
- ½ small onion sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons roasted red bell pepper sliced (I use Mezzetta's deli-sliced roasted red peppers)
- Vegetable oil or olive oil
- Warm bread in the oven.
- Meanwhile, toss the thighs with a splash of oil and blackening seasoning, to taste. I recommend that you not be shy with the seasoning. Get the chicken well-coated.
- Heat a medium skillet over high heat and add the chicken. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is done and measures 165 F. Remove from heat, let cool slightly then slice into thin strips. Keep warm.
- Add the onion to the skillet with a splash of oil and saute for 20-30 minutes or until caramelized. Remove and keep warm.
- Wipe out the skillet, reduce heat to medium and add the cheese. Melt, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble sandwich by adding sliced chicken, peppers, onions, cheese.
- Serve with plenty of napkins.
- Combine all ingredients. Store extra seasoning in an air-tight container.
Nutritional values are approximate.