After visiting a favorite local food truck the other day, and seeing (and tasting) how great the hash they made was, I decided to make a copycat version of the spring hash, a sausage mushroom kale hash. My version is a little heavier on the sausage, but you can adjust it as you like. I also added a fried egg, but next time I’ll add a poached egg instead.
This sausage mushroom kale hash is an easy dish to make, and it has great flavor to boot. I used hot Italian sausage for a little extra kick.
Also try my Hobo hash. Just as easy, just as great.
Sausage Mushroom Kale Hash
After visiting the Citizen Hash food truck the other day, and seeing (and tasting) how great the hash was, I decided to make a copycat version of the spring hash, a sausage mushroom kale hash
- 2 large Russet potatoes peeled, chopped into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage bulk
- olive oil
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound mushrooms small, sliced
- 1 bunch kale washed and chopped
- pinch dried basil
- pinch dried oregano
- pinch dried red pepper flake
- 4 eggs fried or poached (optional)
- parsley chopped, for garnish, if desired
- Salt a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until nearly done, 5-8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Crumble sausage into the pan and cook until done. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet.
- Add the onions and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until the onions are softened.
- Add the potatoes. Turn up the heat to high and cook until the potatoes are golden brown and crisped on one side. Flip and crisp the other side.
- Add the cooked sausage, mushrooms, kale, and the spices and gently stir fry until the mushrooms start to soften and the kale has wilted. Add more oil if it is too dry.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with a cooked egg and garnished with parsley if desired.
Calories: 455kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 207mg | Sodium: 505mg | Potassium: 1527mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3487IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutritional values are approximate.