99 times out of a 100, if I’m going to make pulled or shredded pork I’m going to make it on my smoker. But, there are times here in Indiana when keeping the smoker going outside in 0 degree weather doesn’t appeal to me! That’s when I dig out this great recipe for making shredded pork sandwich in a Dutch oven. There’s the perfect combination of sweet, heat, and moist tender meat! There’s even a hint of smoke!
If you have a smaller pork shoulder you can easily cut this recipe for a shredded pork sandwich in half. You’ll still get the same great results. For something totally different, top your sandwich with my fire and ice salad. It’s crunchy and has some kick!
Shredded Pork Sandwich
The perfect combination of sweet, heat, and moist tender meat! There’s even a hint of smoke!
- 2 tablespoons kosher
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne
- 4 pound pork shoulder
- 2 cup apple juice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 8 hamburger buns
- 2 cups Hard Eight Coleslaw
- your favorite BBQ sauce optional
- Combine the salt, black pepper, brown sugar, paprika and cayenne. Sprinkle over the pork shoulder and rub into the meat.
- Wrap meat in plastic wrap or put into a resealable baggie or container and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Add apple juice, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and garlic powder to a large Dutch oven and stir.
- Add the meat to the Dutch oven. Place foil over the top to create a tight seal and cover with the lid.
- Roast in the oven for 4 hours or until the meat shreds easily, basting with the liquid in the pan every hour.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Shred pork with forks, discarding any large fatty pieces.
- Serve over buns topped with slaw and, optionally, BBQ sauce.
Calories: 381kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 2114mg | Potassium: 686mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 224IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutritional values are approximate.