Visit my other site, For The Wing, for all things chicken-wing!
I’m usually a crispy, grilled or fried chicken wing kind-of-guy. But I am open to other ideas, and I can’t pass up a tasty wing no matter what. So I went into the idea of cooking wings in my slow cooker with an open mind and empty stomach. What resulted were very tasty, very tender wings covered in a fantastic homemade Buffalo wing sauce. Slow cooker chicken wings made a believer out of me.
Cooking the wings in Buffalo sauce in the slow cooker before transferring them to the oven ensured that each and every bite was packed with that great traditional wing flavor. These wings aren’t just covered in sauce, there’s sauce all the way through.
The sauce is what makes these slow cooker chicken wings great. It’s the perfect traditional Buffalo wing sauce. I make a big batch and keep it on hand. I like to fill a squirt bottle with wing sauce and squirt it on macaroni and cheese. Yep, try it. It’s good.
You can get a bit of a char and crisp on these wings if you put them under the broiler for a bit just before serving. Keep an eye on them, though. You don’t want to burn them.
Also try my slow cooker chili dogs.
I absolutely love chicken wings, cooked any way, with any sauce (or without). I love them so much that I created a free eCookbook that is full of my favorite wing recipes.
Slow Cooker Chicken Wings
For the wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings flats and drumettes separated, tips discarded
- Buffalo wing sauce from below or use 1 cup store-bought
For the wings
- Place the wings into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add HALF of the sauce.
- Cook on high for one hour.
- Heat your oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- Add the wings and brush with some of the remaining sauce, reserving the rest for dipping if desired.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Optionally, turn on the broiler for the last 10 minutes to get a little color and crisp on the wings.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and extra wing sauce for dipping if desired.
For the Buffalo wing sauce
- Place the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and continue simmering for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and let cool before using.
Nutritional values are approximate.