This smoked sausage casserole is one of my favorite comfort dishes. It has some of my favorite things in it – smoked sausage, hash browns, and peppers. And cheese. How could it not be good?
You can omit the jalapenos if you want. Or add more. Also try my smoked sausage Alfredo.
Smoked Sausage Casserole
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 pound hash browns frozen, defrosted
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded, minced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika more or less
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage. Cook until lightly browned. Drain.
- Spray a 9″ x 9″ casserole with non-stick spray.
- Add the potatoes and sausage. Mix.
- Add the butter to the skillet and melt.
- Add vegetables and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour, milk and salt and pepper and cook another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Pour vegetable mixture over potatoes and sausage and stir.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and browned, and the potatoes are cooked through.
Nutritional values are approximate.