I recently smoked a big block of Velveeta. When I first mentioned the idea you could actually hear the gasps. Half were in amazement, half were not impressed. Well, for those not on the smoked Velveeta train, time to admit you were wrong because it’s crazy, crazy good! My first recipe for it? Yep, smoked Velveeta macaroni and cheese!
You could make this recipe with ‘regular’ Velveeta instead. But I have to say, smoked Velveeta macaroni and cheese is something special. The flavor is just right. The creaminess is what you’d expect.
This recipe is also fantastic using smoked cheddar cheese, something I’ve made a few times also. You can also find smoked cheddar in most stores. Sadly, you cannot find smoked Velveeta in stores. Yet.
Smoked Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, 7 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- Drain water from pot and add 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and cook until just soft.
- Add the cubed Velveeta, milk and mustard. Stir and let cook until the cheese has melted and is smooth, stirring often. You want the sauce to thicken until it sticks to a spoon, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni. Pour into a lightly greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and hot.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a small saute pan.
- Add the Panko and stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the mac-and-cheese. Slice and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.