Does macaroni-and-cheese with tomatoes and black beans in it make it healthier? I’m not sure. Probably not. I am sure that this Southwestern macaroni-and-cheese was fantastic. You take your pretty favorite standard recipe and add a few things. That’s it. It’s something totally different than the usual. Still creamy and still cheesy, just different.
I use Cholula hot sauce in recipes like this southwestern macaroni-and-cheese because I find it to be a great, fairly mellow, hot sauce. It’s not in-your-face hot and it has a great peppery flavor. It’s perfect on just about anything.
Also try my Civil War mac-and-cheese.
- 6-8 prepared macaroni-and-cheese I doubled our great 20-minute mac-and-cheese recipe, prepared
- 1 15 ounce black beans rinsed, drained
- 1 large tomato seeded, chopped
- hot sauce to taste (optional)
- parsley chopped, for garnish
- Prepare the macaroni and cheese as directed. Keep warm.
- Stir in the beans and tomato along with the Cajun seasoning or hot sauce, if using.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Nutritional values are approximate.