Finding uses for leftover Halloween candy is my new obsession. Ok, it’s ONE of my new obsessions. We ended up with a good amount of leftover candy this year, mostly Dum-Dums. That’s despite using them in my classic self-serve pumpkin, which is always a huge hit at Halloween. So, I made sugar cookie Dum-Dum pops. Fantastic baked sugar cookies with that light crunch, surrounding lightly melted Dum-Dums, perfect for licking after finishing off the cookie.
The key to making these sugar cookie Dum-Dum pops is to very, very gently press the pops into the dough as it softens while it bakes. If you push too hard the dough will crack and you’ll end up with sad (but still good) pops. After doing a few I got the technique down.
These pops were a big hit at Anita’s office.
Sugar Cookie Dum-Dum Pops
- 1 tube sugar cookie dough
- 16 Dum-Dums unwrapped
- Preheat oven per cookie dough package instructions.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (even though the dough package may say you don’t need to).
- Cut the dough per the package instructions. Lay out onto the parchment paper.
- Place pops in the center of the dough circles. VERY lightly press into the dough. Do not press hard.
- Bake for 5 minutes then VERY lightly press the pops into the dough some more.
- Bake another 5 minutes and check if you can press the pops even further into the dough.
- Finish baking until golden brown, per the package instructions.
- Let cool before removing from the parchment paper.
Nutritional values are approximate.