I love loading up my Nesco Snackmaster Pro with freshly-ground lean ground beef and making a big batch of jerky. I have 12 trays so that I can make a good amount of jerky at once. Hi Mountain makes it super easy to make sweet and spicy jerky on the Nesco Snackmaster Pro.
Though I tend to be more a spicy jerky guy, I love a great balance between the heat and sweet, and this mix nails it perfectly. Not so spicy that it’ll scare off those that fear a little kick. And not so sweet that it tastes like candy. Really a great balance and very addicting to eat, that’s for sure.
Make sure you rotate your trays every 2 hours or so. The bottom trays in the Nesco Snackmaster Pro will not dry the sweet and spicy jerky as quickly as those on top. Rotating the trays will give you nice, even drying and perfect jerky on every level. To help keep track of the tracks, I write numbers or letters on them using blue painter’s tape. The tape can be removed easily.
Check out my guide to using the Nesco Snackmaster Pro. You will be making fantastic jerky at home in no time at all!
Sweet and Spicy Jerky on the Nesco Snackmaster Pro
- 1 pound ground beef lean
- 1 tablespoon Hi Mountain Sweet and Spicy Jerky Seasoning and Cure heaping tablespoon for more flavor
- 1 teaspoon curing salt Comes with the seasoning. Optional if you’re going to refrigerate the finished product
- ¼ cup water
- Place beef in a resealable bag or container.
- In a small bowl whisk together the seasoning, curing salt and water. Pour over the meat and seal. Shake to coat.
- Refrigerate the meat for up to 8 hours, shaking or massaging every hour or so to get the marinade distributed and absorbed evenly.
- Remove meat from the marinade and add to a jerky gun. Squeeze out onto Nesco trays. Do not overlap meat.
- Add the dehydrator top, set to maximum temperature setting and dehydrate for 5 hours, rotating the trays (bottom to top) every 2 hours or so.
- To test for doneness remove a piece and let cool slightly. Try to bend the meat. If it gives and starts to tear at the bend it is done. If it bends without tearing return to the dehydrator and let it run another 15 minutes and test again. If the meat is crunchy it is overdone but still good. It’s really a personal preference as to how you like your jerky. Soft, chewy, crunchy. There’s no wrong here.
- Let cool before storing in an airtight container.
Nutritional values are approximate.