It only took me one time making potato wedges using my Vortex BBQ on my Weber charcoal grill to turn me into a full-blown addict. I use my Vortex a lot, to say the least. Wings, fried chicken, mostly but now also for a fantastic side dish. These Kickin’ Cajun potato wedges bring a nice kick, crispy skin, and cream potato-y insides. Get the ketchup out, if you want, or eat them straight-up. You can’t go wrong with them, that’s for sure!
The key to these Vortex potato wedges if the Kickin’ Cajun seasoning from Kosmos Q. Normally used as a wing dust, I’ve found that it’s much, much more than that. Like on these potatoes. It brings a bit of heat. Actually, quite a bit the more you use. So give it a (small) taste first to see how much kick you want.
Kickin’ Cajun Potato Wedges using the Vortex
- Fill your Vortex BBQ with charcoal and light it up while preparing the potatoes.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise, then half again lengthwise, and finally one more time lengthwise (i.e. you're cutting them into 1/8ths). You don't want them super thin, so for smaller potatoes you might only have to cut them 1/4ths. Transfer to a bowl.
- Drizzle the potatoes with the oil and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the seasoning and baking powder and toss to coat. I've found that stirring them with your hands works best.
- Once the charcoal is just ashed over place the potato wedges in a circle around the edges of your grill. Don't let the potatoes touch. It's ok if you need to put them in two or three rows. If some pieces are thicker than others try to locate those nearer the fire.
- Place the cover on the grill with the top and bottom vents wide open.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes, rotating the lid 90 degrees every 5 or so minutes. Start checking the potatoes after 15 minutes. Sometimes one side off the grill needs more heat as the wedges there aren't cooking quite as quickly as others. Just rotate the lid so the vent is near that side and let cook a bit longer.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Nutritional values are approximate.