It was a beautiful spring day here in Indianapolis. That had me wishing it was summer and fresh tomatoes were available. I couldn’t wait any longer. I had to make a few BLTs, even if the tomatoes weren’t perfect. Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do. But to make up for the tomatoes I decided to make a simple bacon weave. BLTs elevated.
I made these bacon weave BLTs two days in a row. I will never make them any other way again at least as far as the bacon goes. Making a weave out of the bacon is not only easy, the bacon stays together better. No chunks flying off when you take a bite. And the best part? You’re guaranteed bacon in every single bite. You can’t beat that.
Want all the flavor of a BLT in an appetizer? Try my chipotle BLT bites.
Bacon Weave BLTs
- Preheat your oven to 385 F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Cut the bacon in half.
- Make a bacon weave. If you’re unsure exactly how to do this, click this link to see the original post (with great step-by-step pictures) on Chin Deep.
- Lay out 3 halves of the bacon in a square. Make sure the pieces are together tightly.
- Lift up and fold back the ends of every other one on one side of the baking sheet. Place a bacon slice perpendicular (vertically) to the horizontal rows of bacon, directly on top of the bacon strips that you did not fold back. Unfold the folded bacon to cover the strip that you just placed on the baking sheet.
- Lift up and fold back the ends of the horizontal bacon strips that are now under the vertical bacon strip to the side of the baking sheet. Place a bacon slice right next to the first vertical bacon strip, directly on top of the bacon strips that you did not fold back. Unfold the folded bacon to cover the strip that you just placed on the baking sheet. Repeat the process of alternating the vertical and horizontal bacon strips till you reach the other end of the horizontal bacon strips.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until crispy. Carefully remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Slather bread with mayonnaise.
- Add bacon weave, lettuce, and tomato and salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.