This is my go-to red sauce. I use it on everything from pizza, to pasta, to meatballs. I always make a double batch and freeze some for later.
Depending on what you use this sauce for, you might want to puree it slightly in a blender or using a blender stick. We prefer our sauce a little thicker and chunky, even if we use it on pizzas.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-3 shallots, chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 3 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- Heat oil over high heat. Add garlic, shallots, thyme and marjoram and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add wine and reduce by 1/2, about 3 minutes.
- Add the two cans of tomatoes. Simmer, stirring often, for 7 minutes.
- Add 1/2 -3/4ths of the can of tomato paste, sugar, and hot pepper flakes. Simmer an additional 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and add the basil, cook another 1 minute.