Potatoes are a magical thing. You can top them so many ways. From simple, like this one, with just a little butter and sour cream, to the big time, with everything from mushrooms to cheese sauce to broccoli. Smoke-roasted potatoes have even more potato flavor than just regular old baked potatoes. The potato flesh come out tender, moist and creamy. The potato skin is crunchy, my absolute favorite. I love that pop of a great crunchy potato skin.
If you’re cooking inside, then check out our post on The Best Baked Potato. But, if you are firing up the grill or smoker, go with these smoke-roasted potatoes instead. You won’t be disappointed.
Also try my spice roasted baby potatoes.
- 4 Russet potatoes scrubbed
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Set up a smoker or grill for indirect cooking at 225-250 F.
- Cut a few small slits into each potato with a knife.
- Brush each potato with oil, then sprinkle with salt.
- Smoke at 225-250 F for 1 hour.
- Wrap potatoes in foil and return to the smoker (or grill) and continue cooking for another 4 hours or until the potatoes give easily when squeezed.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.