I’ve been on a cedar-planking cooking theme lately. I rather enjoy the flavor and aroma that grilled cedar produces. Cooking on cedar takes not much longer than cooking directly on the grill grates, and well, it looks cool. To mix things up, I have also been known to cook on maple planks. I needed some spicy shrimp for a Cobb salad I was going to serve for dinner the other night. Shrimp are so easy and fast to grill. These cedar-planked spicy grilled shrimp came out perfect, with plenty of spice (I added much more cayenne than the recipe states. If you like heat like I do, you should add more too!) and a beautiful color.
You can chill these shrimp for salads or shrimp cocktail, or serve them hot off the grill as a great main dish.
Cooking on cedar planks can really change the ordinary into something special, which is why I do it often. Check out my other cedar plank recipes: creamy mashed potatoes, Cajun mashed potatoes, Twinkies, beef sliders, chorizo portabellos, hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, and shrimp and grits.
Cedar-Planked Spicy Grilled Shrimp
- 1 pound shrimp I used 21-24 count, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Couple dashes freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon or more cayenne pepper
- 1 cedar plank
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Place the shrimp in a resealable container.
- Drizzle with the oil and toss to coat.
- Add the salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Soak the cedar plank in water for 30 minutes.
- Fire up your grill for medium-high cooking.
- Add the cedar plank and leave it on the grill until it starts to smoke.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the shrimp and cook until done, another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve drizzled with the lime juice and garnished with chopped cilantro.