Sometimes you just need a little reminder to step outside of your box of usual sandwich spreads and use something you might not think of. This copycat of the avocado sandwich spread from Jimmy John’s is essentially guacamole with a few twists thrown in. It’s fantastic on a sandwich and for that matter, equally as great as a dip for tortilla chips. That’s why I doubled the recipe. Sandwiches and chips. Lunch is done.
Every sandwich needs a little spiciness in my opinion. Which is why I was happy that this avocado sandwich spread includes a jalapeno. Now, granted, it’s a small jalapeno so you’re not going to get overwhelming heat. But you don’t want that kick to be front-and-center. Just there, in the back. Noticed but not overwhelming. This spread is excellent on my copycat of Jason’s Deli California Club sandwich.
Copycat Jimmy John's Avocado Sandwich Spread
- 1 small jalapeno pepper seeded, chopped
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 Roma tomato chopped
- 2 medium avocados peeled, pitted, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- Place the jalapeno, onion, garlic and tomato into a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Place avocado into a large bowl. Drizzle with the lime juice and smash with the back of a fork. Transfer to the blender.
- Add the salt and mustard to the blender and pulse until the mixture reaches the desired thickness.
- Slather on bread for sandwiches. If you do have any extra spread it makes for a great chip dip!