This is the first time in a long, long time that I didn’t take a picture of a dish after I plated. Why? Well, because my okra hush puppies were only on a plate for about 30 seconds. Yeah, sure, my hush puppy shaping skills are lacking, but it so didn’t matter. They were incredible. I mean just flat-out absolutely the best hush puppies ever. The perfect batter. And my favorite, fresh okra. I loved it!
You pretty much gotta go with fresh when it comes to the okra for these hush puppies. You might bet away with frozen when fresh is out of season, but the color, the crunch, won’t be quite the same. It’ll still taste delicious though.
Note: Yeah, I might have eaten several of these before they even cooled off. And yeah, they were pretty darned hot but I could not control myself. You won’t be able to either.
Also try my copycat of the hush puppies from Long John Silver’s!
Okra Hush Puppies
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 cups fresh okra sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups self-rising cornbread mix I used a small box of Jiffy
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or Dutch oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl combine the okra, garlic powder, onion, and parsley.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and sugar. Add to the bowl of okra and stir gently to combine.
- Stir in the cornbread mix. Add the salt and pepper and stir..
- Working in batches, scoop out a spoonful of batter and gently drop into the hot oil. Fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through, flipping as they cook.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.