I was drooling over Chris’ Tennessee Smoky Hot Dogs posting over on Nibble Me This, and thinking… boy, that sure sounds and looks great. But, I was in a bit of a hurry, so I changed it up to be a bit easier. These hot dogs with onion, chili, and slaw hit the spot. Just like slaw on pulled pork sandwiches, I love slaw on a hot dog. And in some hot chili and crunchy onions and I’m in hot dog heaven.
It’s not the same as Chris’, but the inspiration is there and so is the great flavor! Also give my hot dogs with spicy sauce and grilled onions a try!
I also like making these hot dogs with my homemade chili dog sauce.
Hot Dogs with Onion, Chili, and Slaw
- 1 sweet onion cut into 1/4″ rings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon BBQ rub or use Creole seasoning
- 1 can chili
- 14 ounces coleslaw mix
- 1 slaw dressing I used Marzetti’s
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- handful sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat grill.
- Put onion slices on a sheet of aluminum foil. Top with the butter and seasoning. Seal and place over indirect heat on the grill for about 20 minutes or until the onion gets soft. Remove.
- Warm the chili.
- Mix coleslaw vegetables and dressing. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Grill the dogs and toast the buns as desired.
- Serve dogs topped with onion, chili, cheese and slaw.
Nutritional values are approximate.