This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
This is supposedly Chef Michael Chiarello’s favorite way of cooking button mushrooms. And I have to say, they came out very good indeed. I love the earthiness of mushrooms with fresh herbs, and just a hint of citrus. I’d never thought of adding lemon to mushrooms. It definitely adds a nice tart contrast to the meaty, rich mushroom flavor.
Psssst! If you end up with leftovers, chop them up and use them in an omelet or on top of a grilled burger. Yum! But, it’s rather unlikely you’ll end up with leftover Michael Chiarello’s best button mushrooms. You could do as I did and make a double batch just so you would have more for other dishes!
Also try my dilly dilly grilled mushrooms.
Michael Chiarello’s Best Button Mushrooms
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large skillet.
- Add the mushrooms, stem-side down. Do not move them around. Cook them until they start to caramelize on the bottoms.
- Toss the mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the butter. Once melted, toss and cook another 5-8 minutes or until the mushrooms are browned.
- Add the salt and garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the fresh thyme, lemon juice and wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the parsley. Serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.