We don’t ever need an excuse to eat good ole sweet corn from My Dad’s Sweet Corn in nearby Tipton, Indiana. When it is at its peak in the summer we go to our local Binford farmer’s market and load up. We blanch it and freeze it for the winter time, when eating it reminds us of summer and warmer weather.
This Mexican corn soup from Ingrid Hoffman is a great way to showcase a good sweet corn. True, I strayed from the original recipe, but the end result was great nonetheless!
Also try my outstandly yummy southwestern turkey soup.
Mexican Corn Soup
- 3 cups corn kernels frozen, thawed (or two cans, drained), divided
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup queso fresco crumbled
- 1 cup Tortilla strips
- Place 1/2 of the corn, both tomatoes,half of the chicken broth and oregano into a blender. Process until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and cook until browned. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the onion and cook until it is starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the corn/tomato puree and the remaining corn. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and continue simmering for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and stir.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream and half of the parsley.
- Serve garnished with cheese crumbles and tortilla strips.
Calories: 509kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 1726mg | Potassium: 699mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1390IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutritional values are approximate.