A place called Gumbo A Go-Go opened recently here in Indy (and sadly they’ve now close!) . I’ve eaten there several times and have become totally addicted to their Datwich, a spicy shredded chicken sandwich. This is my first attempt at trying to match it. I’d say that this Drunken Cajun chicken po boy comes mighty darn close to the real thing. And I definitely ended up with a delicious sandwich!I will try again to duplicate the Datwich. I think I’m very close. Next time I’ll omit the tomatoes, add some broth, and more garlic! Until then I’m going to chow down on this spicy good Drunken Cajun chicken po boy sandwich!
Drunken Cajun Chicken Po'Boy
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 2 15 ounce stewed tomatoes with juices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bottle beer
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 loaves French bread
- Combine all of the seasons from the cayenne pepper to the basil to form a rub.
- Rub mixture over the chicken.
- Place chicken into a large Dutch oven over low heat.
- Add remaining ingredients except the bread, plus any remaining rub.
- Cover and cook 5-7 hours, stirring occasionally, until the chicken can be shredded with a fork.
- Carefully remove the chicken and shred with a fork.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the sauce left in the Dutch oven. Alternatively, pour the sauce into a counter top blender and puree, being careful not to burn yourself with the hot liquid.
- Return shredded chicken to the pot.
- Lightly toast the bread.
- Cut in half lengthwise and top with the meat mixture.
- Cut in halves and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.