It’s that time of year when there are lots and lots of sports on TV. That calls for game snacks, like this tasty treat. The Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke really make these southern spicy roasted peanuts taste different from your usual roasted nuts. It’s a great flavor combination that gets better the longer the peanuts set. I recommend waiting at least 6 hours before diving in.
I found it difficult to make a bowl of golden brown roasted peanuts look sexy. But believe me, these southern spicy roasted peanuts are mighty good. So are my chipotle honey roasted nuts.
Southern Spicy Roasted Peanuts
- Place the peanuts in a large bowl. Add the Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke and toss to coat. Let set for 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 325 F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Add butter to a large skillet and melt over medium low heat.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in the vinegar, hot sauce, salt and cayenne.
- Add in the peanuts and stir to coat well.
- Pour nuts out evenly onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so, stirring every 5 minutes, until the nuts are a dark golden brown.
- Remove to a rack or another (dry) baking sheet and let cool, uncovered, for 5-6 hours.
Nutritional values are approximate.