This is my take on the famous pot roast sandwich from the Hobnob Corner Restaurant in Nashville, Indiana. All of the food at the Hobnob is soooooo good, and their pot roast sandwich is no exception. It is insanely good. The pot roast is tender, herby, with a hint of wine, and juicy, while the creamy horseradish sauce adds just a little bite. Topped with caramelized onions, it’s the perfect sandwich.
I actually omitted the caramelized onions the first time I made this sandwich. It was still a great sandwich. As much as I used to not love horseradish I found it to be fantastic on this sandwich. It goes with the roast beef perfectly.
Pot Roast Sandwich
This is my take on the famous pot roast sandwich from the Hobnob Corner Restaurant in Nashville, Indiana. All of the food at the Hobnob is soooooo good, and their pot roast sandwich is no exception.
- 1 loaf French bread toasted
- creamy horseradish sauce
- 1 pound perfect pot roast
- 4 slices Swiss cheese sliced
- caramelized onions see below
For the caramelized onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions halved and sliced very thin
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Slather the bread with the horseradish sauce.
- Add generous amounts of the pot roast.
- Top with the cheese and place under the broiler long enough to melt the cheese.
- Add onions. Cut into four sandwiches and serve.
- Note: If you have the juices leftover from making the pot roast, run it through a sieve and serve as a great dipping sauce.
For the caramelized onions:
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-low heat until foaming.
- Add the onions and cook them until they are deep golden brown and caramelized, about 45 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
Calories: 1703kcal | Carbohydrates: 250g | Protein: 68g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 2194mg | Potassium: 892mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 1269IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 771mg | Iron: 15mg
Nutritional values are approximate.