These are not the beans and weenies you may have eaten as a kid. Not even close. Smoky bacon, sweet baked beans, and kickin’ jalapenos. You definitely won’t confuse them with the canned version. And you definitely won’t confuse them with the potluck version that uses lil ole chopped up hot dogs.
You can use any store-bought sausage in this dish, but for a really tasty version, use some fresh sausage from a local butcher. I used some great kielbasa sausage from Moody’s Butcher shop in nearby Zionsville, Indiana. The sausages definitely up’d my game.
Also try my smoked blueberry beans and weenies.
Beans and Weenies
These are not the beans and weenies you may have eaten as a kid. Not even close. Smoky bacon, sweet baked beans, and kickin’ jalapenos. You definitely won’t confuse them with the canned version
- 4 large smoked sausage or your favorite kind of sausages, cut into 2"-3" pieces
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cans baked beans
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small red onion minced
- ground black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2 jalapenos sliced
- 6 green onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Simmer sausages in 2″ of water for 10 minutes.
- Cut bacon into 1/2″ pieces and cook in a large saute pan until almost crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve the drippings.
- Add sausage to saute pan and brown lightly on all sides. Remove.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with non-stick spray. Add in the beans, garlic, onion, and pepper. Stir.
- Place sausage pieces into the bean mixture, pushing them in.
- Sprinkle top of dish with Worcestershire sauce (I used about 2 tablespoons).
- Scatter the jalapenos, green onions and thyme over the top of the dish.
- Spoon a little of the reserved bacon drippings around.
- Place in oven on a rack above a baking pan (in case some drips down) and bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly hot.
Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 1249mg | Potassium: 776mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 141IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutritional values are approximate.