I do love a big, big batch of smoked baked beans. And I love beans and weenies. So I was intrigued when I came across this recipe for smoked blueberry beanie weenies. My first reaction was “What? Blueberry?”. Well, you often put maple syrup in beans and on pancakes. And you put blueberry syrup on pancakes… so maybe that’s where the original idea came from? Well, whatever spurred it, I love them. They are a very pleasant change from the usual beans that you’re expecting. Don’t tell anyone that there’s blueberry syrup in these beans. Just sit back and watch the surprise on their faces as they take their first bites.
Other than the addition of blueberry syrup, these smoked blueberry beanie weenies are pretty much your standard, awesome beanie weenies. It’s the syrup that’s the surprise. Since the syrup is fairly sweet I wasn’t real shy with the hot sauce. I wanted a little kick to go with the sweet.
Even my un-smoked beans and weenies are different. Try them.
Smoked Blueberry Beanie Weenie
- 1 16 ounce great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 16 ounce light red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 16 ounce dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- ¾ cup blueberry syrup
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried ginger
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- hot sauce to taste
- hot dogs sliced as desired
- Fire up your smoker for cooking at 225 F. Use a light wood such as apple, maple or peach.
- Place the beans in a large bowl.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until just starting to crisp. Remove.
- Add the onion and saute until softened. Remove.
- Combine all but the hot dogs with the beans.
- Pour the mixture into a 8″ x 13″ disposable pan and place on the smoker, uncovered, for 3 hours.
- Stir in the hot dogs and cook another 30 minutes.
Nutritional values are approximate.
One thought on “Smoked Blueberry Beanie Weenie”
We were not impressed with the blueberry syrup flavor that ran through this dish, was not good.