This hamburger po boy is one of my favorite things to eat. It’s a little on the messy side, which is always a good thing. I think sandwiches are meant to be messy. And they have to drip down yummy drippings that you can sop up with your bread, or better, fries.
- 1 loaf French bread split horizontally
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix or 5 tablespoons of our homemade version
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- Kaw-Cajun Comeback Sauce to taste, optional
- mayonnaise optional
- 4-6 slices American cheese
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- Lightly toast the bread and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef and drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, relish, mustard and black pepper. Stir in the soup mix. Add to the ground beef along with the beef broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer until thickened.
- Slather the bread with the comeback sauce or mayo (both are optional).
- Spoon the mixture over the bread and top with the cheese, onion, lettuce and tomato and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.