These grilled sweet potatoes with pecan butter are a favorite Thanksgiving dish for us. It’s a bit sweet, a lot easy, and very tasty. You can make it ahead of time and cook it on-site, in the oven or on a grill (which is how I do it). The beauty of cooking sides on the grill at Thanksgiving is that it helps free up the oven, which is so often crammed full of food.
There are basically two parts to these potatoes. First, you grill the potatoes and sweet onions and a bit of oil in foil packets until they are tender. Then, you spoon on a sweet nutty cinnamony topping and let that get all melty happy. Serve them up in the foil packets or put them into a large bowl and serve family style.
I also make a spiral version of these grilled sweet potatoes with pecan butter.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Butter
- Preheat grill to medium, about 425 degrees.
- Place potato slices and onion rings on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Brush with oil.
- Place another sheet of foil over potatoes and seal along edges.
- Place on grill for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir in pecans.
- Open packets and top with pecan butter. Serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.