Sometimes, I’m all about making a quick and easy dinner. But that doesn’t mean I will sacrifice flavor. This recipe for spicy sausage pasta uses ingredients I almost always have on hand. The end result was nice and creamy, with a good bit of heat. It ain’t fancy, but it didn’t have to be fancy. Just good.
You can tone down the heat in this dish, but honestly, it’s not that spicy. For nice little change, substitute andouille (cooked thoroughly) for the smoked sausage.
Although I used fresh, dried pasta works just as well. Just cook per the package instructions and enjoy!
Also try my spicy sausage and sun-dried tomato penne pasta.
Spicy Sausage Pasta
This recipe for spicy sausage pasta uses ingredients I almost always have on hand. The end result was nice and creamy, with a good bit of heat. It ain’t fancy, but it didn’t have to be fancy. Just good.
- 8 ounces pasta preferably fresh. I used fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut into rounds
- 1 ½ cups sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles I used hot, but mild will work just fine also
- ½ cup heavy cream
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup Italian cheese blend shredded, divided
- green onions sliced or fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta per package instructions.
- Heat oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. (I used a 12″ cast-iron skillet)
- Add the sausage and onion and cook until both are lightly browned.
- Add the garlic, stir, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add broth, tomatoes, cream, and salt and pepper (to taste) and stir.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Place skillet under the broiler until the top is starting to brown and the sauce is bubbly hot.
- Serve garnished with green onions or parsley if desired.
Calories: 578kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 127mg | Sodium: 1789mg | Potassium: 597mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 694IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutritional values are approximate.