I have been a diehard fan of Chile Pepper magazine for years. Despite what the name might suggest to you, it’s not a magazine about over-the-top way-too-hot peppers and foods and sauces. Instead, it has a variety of recipes and articles, catering not only to chile heads, but also people that just want a little kick to their foods. Everything I have made from the magazine has turned out absolutely fantastic. They aren’t playing around. Grab yourself a copy off the news-stand or order a subscription online. Or do what I did and have a subscription for years. And years. And make some of their great recipes like this spicy sausage and sun-dried tomato penne rigate.
This spicy sausage and sun-dried tomato penne rigate dish is creamy, with just a little heat, thanks to spicy sausage, red pepper flake and hot cheese. The original recipe used sliced chicken breast, but I went with chicken sausage for a little more spice. Any chicken would work in this dish, though.
The sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach add a great twist to what would be a great meal by itself. This doesn’t take long to make and will wow your guests with great flavors.
I like to use my good ole trusty Dutch oven to make this dish and pretty much darned near anything like it on my stovetop. It’s nice and big and sturdy. That extra weight helps it maintain and distribute heat perfectly. As an added bonus, it’s actually pretty easy to clean up too!
Also try my easy-to-make but still awesome spicy sausage and pasta.
Spicy Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomato Penne Rigate
- 1 pound penne rigate
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 8.5 ounce sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ sweet onion diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups spinach fresh
- 1 pound chicken sausage spicy, sliced thin
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups Habanero Jack shredded cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried red pepper flake
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated, for serving
- Cook pasta per package instructions. When done, reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Drain and reserve the pasta.
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes but save the oil. Chop or slice the tomatoes.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the sun-dried tomato oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, and mushrooms and cook until they start to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. Cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil to the skillet. Add the sausage and cook until done and lightly browned. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the cream and shredded cheese. Bring to a gentle boil then reduce heat to simmer. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Add the cooked pasta and 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water. Stir.
- Add the red pepper flakes, cooked vegetables and sausage. Stir.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. If mixture is too thick add a bit more of the reserved pasta water and stir.
- Serve garnished with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional values are approximate.