There was a time when I purchased many of the rubs I used for cooking, specially when it came to smoking pork butt or ribs. Now, I just use this simple but very tasty version of a Memphis rib rub based on a recipe from Myron Mixon.
A little sweet, and a little heat (add more cayenne if you like) makes this Memphis rib rub perfect. It made my St. Louis-style ribs (and tips) something great. This recipe makes a nice big batch. Just store any extra in an air-tight container out of the light and away from heat.
I keep my homemade spice mixes in resealable containers. To identify them I write the name of the mix and the date on painter’s blue tape. The tape comes off easily when I’m done with the mix so I can re-use the containers for other things.
Memphis Rib Rub
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons hili powder
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- smoked paprika optional, to taste
- Combine all ingredients.
Nutritional values are approximate.