I made this great beer-cheese sauce the other night and poured it all over grilled hamburgers. The end result was crazy good. And even better was the fact that any of the cheese sauce that dripped off was immediately sopped up by hot-out-of-the-oven fries. Next time I’ll make extra sauce and pour some over the fries.
This sauce is also great for dipping warmed pretzels. Trust me. I did it. And it’s also great over grilled hog dogs. Anywhere you need cheese sauce, you need beer-cheese sauce.
Also try my other version of beer cheese sauce. Same great flavor, but a little creamier and thicker. Ideal for just about anything, including as a dip!
I made this great beer-cheese sauce the other night and poured it all over grilled hamburgers. The end result was crazy good.
Servings 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3/4 cup beer more or less depending on the desired consistency
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- green onions chopped, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and mustard powder and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the flour is cooked but not brown.
- Whisk in the beer and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in the half-and-half and let simmer, whisking constantly until thickened. If too thick, add more beer in very small amounts.
- Add the cheese and horseradish and stir until melted.
- Fold in the chives or green onions and serve.
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 401mg | Potassium: 156mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 726IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 468mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.