Well, that does it for my search for the perfect meatballs and gravy. I’m done looking. These Italian meatballs and gravy, grilled country style, were absolutely fantastic. I used our Italian meatball recipe, which makes the best, tasty and tender meatballs you can find. We love them. I grilled them, but you can bake or smoke them instead. If you do grill your meatballs, use a skillet over the hot coals to make the gravy once the meatballs are done.
And as great as the meatballs were, the gravy is a new level of insanely tasty. Beef broth and coffee. Brilliant. And just a touch of garlic powder. Not only smooth, creamy, and tasty, but the gravy also has a really nice light coffee aroma.
I served the grilled Italian meatballs and gravy with our new favorite, creamy mashed cauliflower. You seriously cannot tell that you aren’t eating mashed potatoes, specially when they are covered in the fantastic country style gravy for the meatballs.
I can’t recommend this dish enough. You can of course substitute your own meatball recipe, or use pre-cooked. You’ll want to try my Salisbury steak meatballs too.
Italian Meatballs and Gravy Grilled Country Style
For the meatballs
- 2 pounds Italian meatballs I used our fantastic version, found here. Frozen pre-cooked meatballs can be used too.
For the gravy
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Italian meatball crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup coffee brewed
- 2 cups beef broth
For the meatballs
- Cook the meatballs. I grilled ours over indirect heat for about 45 minutes. You can also bake them until done.
- Serve with gravy.
For the gravy (for extra flavor, make the gravy in a skillet on the grill after the meatballs are done)
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour is cooked and the mixture is thick.
- Add in the crumbled meatball, garlic powder, coffee, and broth. Stir.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and let simmer, stirring often, until thickened.
Nutritional values are approximate.