I make what I think is a mighty fine spicy tomato soup. Lately, I’ve been concentrating more on using roasted tomatoes in my dishes, so I decided to give this roasted tomato soup a try. It definitely came out chock full of great roasted tomato flavor. Just perfect. A little herb-y, and a little creamy. And a lot tomato-y.
The tomatoes took about an hour to roast. They came out looking and smelling absolutely fantastic. If it would’ve been a nicer day out I would’ve tossed them on the grill, but the weather just wasn’t cooperating.
What a fantastically tomato-y soup!
Also try my delicious roasted chicken noodle soup.
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 4 pounds plum tomatoes halved, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- chives chopped, for garnish, optional
- croutons for garnish, optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a Silpat,
- Place the tomatoes cut-side up in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, sugar, and thyme.
- Roast the tomatoes until they are wrinkled and soft, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool until cool enough to handle. Remove skins.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onions and a pinch of salt, stir, and cook until starting to soften.
- Add the garlic, stir, and cook another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, bay leaf and the basil. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream.
- Using an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender you can transfer the soup to a blender, but let it cool first or it will explode in the blender. You have been warned!
- Serve warm garnished with chives and croutons if desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.