This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
Chez John (aka Fat Johnny) turns out some mighty darned good grub (check out his awesome food blog at Fat Johnny’s Front Porch). Like his Fat Johnny’s cheesy cornbread, one of our all-time favorites. We absolutely love the addition of sweet corn to cornbread. It not only adds a little ‘pop’ to every bite, it adds a sweetness and it helps keep the cornbread moist. The cornbread cooks up perfectly. Soft and moist with an incredible cheesy flavor, this is nothing but fantastic.
Just about anything can be added to Fat Johnny’s cheesy cornbread. Try finely chopped cooked Mexican chorizo. Or ham or bacon. Or broccoli. Really, anything. But at least the first time, you have to make it the way Chef makes it because it’s out-of-this-world fantastic. You won’t want to make cornbread any other way again.
We cooked the cornbread in round pans, but of course you can use muffin tins instead. You can also use a cast iron skillet. The cornbread might cook quicker in tins, so keep an eye on it after about 15 minutes of cooking. Just slide a toothpick into the centers. If it comes out clean, the cornbread is ready to take out and serve!
Fat Johnny’s Cheesy Cornbread
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Set out two medium bowls.
- In one bowl, gently stir together all of the wet ingredients.
- In the other bowl stir together the dry ingredients.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, forming a batter. If it’s too clumpy add more buttermilk, a little at a time, and stir.
- Pour batter into a muffin tin or pie pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Nutritional values are approximate.