This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
These spiral sweet potatoes with pecan butter are a twist on a favorite Thanksgiving dish for us. It’s a bit sweet, a lot easy, and very tasty. You can assemble it ahead of time and cook it on-site in the oven or on a grill. I like cooking sides on the grill at Thanksgiving since it frees up the oven. The oven is always crammed full during the holidays.
Because the sweet potatoes are cut into thin (but not too thin) spirals, they will cook faster than whole or sliced sweet potatoes, so keep an eye on them. Spiral sweet potatoes with pecan butter don’t take as long to cook as you might thing, And the crunchy sweet topping is absolutely fantastic. If your guests like their sides a bit on the sweet side don’t hesitate to double the topping.
If you don’t have a spiralizer you can cut the sweet potatoes into thin slices instead.
As an added bonus for us, I used pecans from my dad’s pecan trees. There’s something about his pecans that make them oh so much better than anything I’ve ever gotten from a store. Some years his trees don’t make many pecans, and some years… Yowsa! It’s like it’s raining pecans everywhere!
Spiral Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Butter
- 4 large sweet potatoes peeled, spiraled (I used the large blade. You don’t want super thin spirals)
- 1 large sweet onion sliced thin and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup pecans chopped, toasted
- Preheat grill to medium or oven to 425 F degrees.
- Place potato slices and onion rings on a large sheet of aluminum foil (you might need to divide the mixture between more than one piece of foil). Drizzle with oil.
- Place another sheet of foil over potatoes and seal along edges.
- Place on grill or in oven for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir in pecans.
- Open packets and top with pecan butter. Serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.