Well, hot diggity dog! Get me some cheese and crackers and fast! This beef summer sausage came out tasting fantastic! Perfect texture, too. Boy, I could not have been happier with it. Great beefy flavor with a hint of smoke and pepper.
I made my beef summer sausage ‘log’ a bit bigger round than I had thought, close to 2 inches. Not that that was a bad thing, but next time I’ll shoot for a size that fits more perfectly onto a cracker. A little meaty overhang isn’t a bad thing, mind you.
And I might add a bit of heat next time. I’m thinking that a few good sized pinches of red pepper flake ought to do it!
Also try my homemade Italian sausage. I love serving smoked sausage with my Sriracha mustard dipping sauce.
Beef Summer Sausage
- 2 pounds ground beef the leanest you can find, preferably
- 2 tablespoons Morton's Tender Quick
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked black pepper or use regular black pepper and add a bit more Liquid Smoke
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Place the meat into a bowl and add the Tender Quick. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, start by preheating your oven to 225 F.
- Add the Liquid Smoke, pepper and garlic salt to the meat and mix very well.
- Divide the meat into two equally-sized halves and form into logs.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 4 hours.
- Remove and let cool completely before slicing thin and serving with sliced cheeses and crackers.
Nutritional values are approximate.