Well, hot diggity dog! Get me some cheese and crackers and get them fast! This beef summer sausage came out tasting fantastic! Perfect texture, too. Boy, I could not have been happier with it. For my first time (of many) this was one of the best things I’ve ever made! I’m just giddy as can be! Great beefy flavor with a hint of smoke and pepper.
I made my beef summer sausage ‘log’ a bit bigger round than I had thought, close to 2 inches. Not that that was a bad thing, but next time I’ll shoot for a size that fits more perfectly onto a cracker. A little meaty overhang isn’t a bad thing, mind you.
And I might add a bit of heat next time. I’m thinking that a few good sized pinches of red pepper flake ought to do it!
Inspired by a recipe from Little Dairy on the Prairie.
Beef Summer Sausage
- Place the meat into a bowl and add the Tender Quick. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, start by preheating your oven to 225 F.
- Add the Liquid Smoke, pepper and garlic salt to the meat and mix very well.
- Divide the meat into two equally-sized halves and form into logs.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 4 hours.
- Remove and let cool completely before slicing thin and serving with sliced cheeses and crackers.
Nutritional values are approximate.