I have been making a lot of pizzas on the grill this year. After a long time of testing, trying, and testing some more, I’m very happy with our homemade dough and homemade sauce. And now I can say I’m also happy with our homemade Italian sausage. It’s very easy to make but still packs a nice spicy flavor. It’s perfect for pizzas, calzones, or hoagies.
Nothing beats a pizza hot off a charcoal- or wood-fired grill, specially if it’s loaded with homemade Italian sausage. I use a Kettle Pizza adapter on my 22″ Weber charcoal grill any time I want to recreate that awesome classic pizza flavor.
Also try my homemade beef summer sausage.
Homemade Italian Sausage
- 3 pounds ground pork
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flake or more
- 3/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place the pork in a large bowl.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well. I found using my hands to be the best way. Just make sure you get all of the spices distributed evenly throughout the pork.
- Let pork refrigerate for 12 hours before using to distribute the flavors. I froze it in 1 pound packages for use later on pizzas.
Nutritional values are approximate.