I’ve made mustard-based BBQ sauces before, but nothing even comes close to this Atomic BBQ sauce. It takes mustardy sauces to a whole new place, thanks mostly to the addition of pickled banana peppers. Of course, there’s a pretty good kick to the sauce. It is called Atomic BBQ sauce for a reason. Perfect on a rack of smoked St. Louis-style ribs, and outstanding on a pulled pork sandwich.
For a little extra kick, substitute spicy banana peppers. Don’t want the heat? Substitute jalapenos for the habaneros. You’ll still get a kick, but it’ll be tame enough for just about anyone. For even less of a kick (but still some) try my hot pepper jelly BBQ sauce too.
This sauce is a great thing. Definitely my new favorite when it comes to non-ketchup-based BBQ sauces.
Atomic BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup pickled banana peppers chopped fine plus 2 tablespoons of the pickling liquid
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 4 green onions sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 habanero chiles stemmed and minced
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk all ingredients except salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For a less chunky sauce process in a blender until smooth before using.
Nutritional values are approximate.