I love smoked potatoes. Smoking them adds such a fantastic (but not overpowering) smokiness. And it’s cooler than just baking them in the oven. And since I also love sweet potatoes, why not just combine two of my favorite things? Smoked sweet potatoes are sweet (duh) and creamy, and oh so tender. To counter that sweetness just a bit I top them with a nice (also smoky) sour cream and chipotle mixture. And a little bacon for some more smokiness and a bit of crunch. Forget russet potatoes, smoked sweet potatoes with chipotle sour cream are better!
Don’t have a smoker? You can use the technique for my perfect baked potato on sweet potatoes too. You won’t get all that smokiness of course, but the chipotle sour cream and bacon will help make up for that. They’ll be sorta smoked sweet potatoes with chipotle sour cream.
Smoked Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle Sour Cream
- Fire up your smoker for cooking at 225 F.
- Brush the potatoes with the oil and place on the smoker.
- Smoke for 2-3 hours or until soft but not mushy.
- Remove from the smoker and let cool slightly before slicing open. Chop the insides lightly.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the crumbled bacon.
- Combine the sour cream and chipotles with some of the adobo sauce and spoon over the potatoes.
- Garnish with the onions and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.