Not many folks think about grilling radishes. But, they have a certain ‘wow’ factor when you serve them. They look like baby beets or turnips. Grilling them mellows them a bit, making them nice and sweet and really quite addicting. Grilled radishes are a nice change from the way radishes are normally served: cold on top of a green salad.
You can also serve grilled radishes cold. Just cook them them put them into a container in the fridge for a few hours to cool. They’re great on salads. You expect that cold, almost spicy, radish flavor but instead get something much more mellow and totally different. It’s a welcome change. For something even more different, try this same technique using black radishes.
- 1 pound radishes large, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ice cube
- Fire up your grill for direct grilling.
- Tear off a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Add radishes to the center of the foil. Sprinkle with the garlic, butter, and salt and pepper.
- Top the radishes with the ice cube.
- Fold the edges of the foil over and pinch to seal.
- Place on the grill for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Serve immediately with more salt and pepper.
Nutritional values are approximate.