Wow. I love beets, but I really wasn’t expecting these smoked beets with balsamic glaze to be so amazing. The perfect combination of flavors, starting with just a hint of smoke and ending with goat cheese drizzled with a fantastic balsamic glaze. The more I cook, the more I find myself using balsamic vinegar in my dishes, and it certainly was a star in this one.
If you don’t have a smoker you can still make these beets. Just toss them in a 375 F oven and roast them until tender. They won’t have that light smoky flavor, but they will still be great with the glaze and cheese.
In a pinch you can skip using fresh beets when you make these smoked beets with balsamic glaze. Grab canned or jarred, slice and serve with the remaining ingredients. Or just make my non-smoked beet but-still-really-great beet salad.
I recommend that you use a grill basket when smoking these beets. It makes cooking easier and you don’t have to worry about anything falling through the grates. And cleanup is easier too!
Also try my grilled golden beets.
Smoked Beets with Balsamic Glaze
For the beats
- 4 large beets
- herb goat cheese
- Balsamic glaze from below
For the beats
- Fire up your smoker for smoking at 250 F.
- Meanwhile, boil or steam the beats until just tender. Let cool completely then peel.
- Transfer beets to the smoker and smoke for 30 minutes-1 hour. You just want a hint of smoke flavor.
- Remove from the smoker and let cool then slice thin.
- Serve with the cheese drizzled with the balsamic glaze.
For balsamic glaze
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and continue to simmer, stirring often, until thick. The glaze should coat the back of spoon.
- Remove from heat and cover until ready to use.
Nutritional values are approximate.