Wow. I love beets, but I really wasn’t expecting these smoked beets with balsamic glaze to be so amazing. The perfect combination of flavors, starting with just a hint of smoke and ending with goat cheese drizzled with a fantastic balsamic glaze. The more I cook, the more I find myself using balsamic vinegar in my dishes, and it certainly was a star in this one.
If you don’t have a smoker you can still make these beets. Just toss them in a 375 F oven and roast them until tender. They won’t have that light smoky flavor, but they will still be great with the glaze and cheese.
In a pinch you can skip using fresh beets. Grab canned or jarred, slice and serve with the remaining ingredients. Or just make my non-smoked beet but-still-really-great beet salad.
Also try my grilled golden beets.
Smoked Beets with Balsamic Glaze
For the beats
- 4 large beets
- herb goat cheese
- Balsamic glaze from below
For the beats
- Fire up your smoker for smoking at 250 F.
- Meanwhile, boil or steam the beats until just tender. Let cool completely then peel.
- Transfer beets to the smoker and smoke for 30 minutes-1 hour. You just want a hint of smoke flavor.
- Remove from the smoker and let cool then slice thin.
- Serve with the cheese drizzled with the balsamic glaze.
For balsamic glaze
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and continue to simmer, stirring often, until thick. The glaze should coat the back of spoon.
- Remove from heat and cover until ready to use.
Nutritional values are approximate.