This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
What fun these smoked spiral hot dogs were to make and devour! I’ve made spiral dogs before, but this technique is much better than my old way. The key is inserting a skewer thru the dogs to keep them together after slicing. And of course, the skewer keeps you from slicing in too far. I smoked my spiral dogs, but you could just as easily grill them.
Anita and I recently ran across The Mustard Man at an event at the Jungle Jim’s market in Fairfield, OH. After sampling each of mustard I instantly picked up a bottle of each one. They are truly fantastic. I squeezed a bit of the Simple Pepper and Simply Maple on each of our smoked spiral dogs. The mustard runs down into the spirals, filling each bite with mustardy goodness. We cannot recommend The Mustard Man’s mustard enough!
Also try my other version of yummy smoked spiral hot dogs.
Slicing your hot dogs before cooking helps ensure that the toppings don’t slide off. And that’s a good thing!
Smoked Spiral Hot Dogs
- 4 hot dogs
- Wooden or bamboo skewers
- Your favorite rub or seasoning I used my Fire-Eater seasoning
- Fire up your smoker for 225 F. You can also make these hot dogs on a grill
- Carefully guide the skewer through the center of the hot dogs. If you get the skewer crooked at it pokes out of the side of the dog just pull it back and try again. I found that laying the hot dogs down on a flat surface and sliding the skewer in from the side, parallel to the counter top, worked best.
- Lay the skewered dog down onto a cutting board or flat surface.
- Holding a knife at a 45 degree angle, starting at one end of the dog, cut into the dog down to the skewer. Start rolling the hot dog, keeping the knife inserted into the hot dog, making cuts that are about 1/2″ apart. Continue rolling and cutting until you reach the other end of the hot dog.
- Gently pull the dog apart, separating the cuts. Be careful, you don’t want to break it.
- Sprinkle with your favorite seasoning.
- Place dogs onto the smoker and smoke for 2 hours. If grilling grill until done as desired.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional values are approximate.