Anything on a stick is fun to eat. Especially if there are BBQ sauce and cheese involved. These spiral hot dogs are served with a queso dipping sauce that has the added bonus of being a fantastic dip for tortilla chips.
Adding Worcestershire sauce to BBQ sauce really adds a great flavor. People are expecting straight-up, normal BBQ sauce, and instead get a nice surprise when they take that first bite. Then take that tasty dog and dunk it (deep) into that queso sauce and you’ve got a dog to remember.
Slicing your hot dogs before cooking helps ensure that the toppings don’t slide off. And that’s a good thing!
Spiral Hot Dogs with Queso Sauce
For the dogs
- ¼ cup barbecue Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hot dogs 4 large dinner dogs or a package of regular sized dogs
- Bamboo skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
For the dogs
- Combine the barbecue sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the mixture for the queso sauce.
- Place a hot dog on a flat surface.
- Hold a knife at a 45 degree angle to the dog, and insert into the dog 1/8″. Rotate the dog slowly, making an incision as you go.
- Repeat with remaining dogs.
- Carefully thread dogs onto the skewers.
- Place hot dogs over a hot grill. Cook for a few minutes then rotate.
- Once the dogs are nearly done, with a nice char, brush with the barbecue sauce mix and grill a little longer.
- Serve dogs with the queso sauce, for dipping.
For the queso sauce
- Place Velveeta and milk into a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir often until the cheese has melted.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the tomatoes, reserved barbecue and Worcestershire mix, and hot sauce, if desired.
- Keep warm until ready to use.
Nutritional values are approximate.