This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
I smoked a big (and I do mean big) batch of meatballs the other day. I knew exactly what dish I was going to use them in first: baked spaghetti and meatballs. The idea just appealed to me. Easy, tasty, and pretty to boot. And like the big batch of meatballs, I knew I’d end up with a big batch of spaghetti, making for an easy week of meals. Score!
I actually ended up doubling the sauce for this baked spaghetti and meatballs. I like my pasta saucy. And spicy, so I also added a healthy amount of red pepper flake. You could add other favorite ingredients as well. Mushrooms and bell peppers would be great.
I love making this dish in a cast iron skillet, even though I could really use a deep baking dish. I just like the extra ‘crust’ hot cast iron gives me.
If you’re using a store-bought marinara sauce, go for the more expensive bottle over the cheap stuff. It really makes a difference in this baked spaghetti and meatballs. The extra cost is well worth it in the end.
Also try my slow cooker spaghetti and meatballs.
This recipe is based on a recipe from Joy in Every Season.
Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12-18 meatballs cooked, frozen meatballs should be thawed first
- 24 ounce marinara sauce double if you like more sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- dried red pepper flake to taste (optional)
- ¾ pound spaghetti
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the meatballs, marinara sauce, Italian seasoning and red pepper flake, if using.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350 F and cook the spaghetti per package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Remove the meatballs from the skillet using a slotted spoon.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and the 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Stir until the pasta is coated with sauce.
- Add the meatballs back to the skillet.
- Add the cheeses and place in the oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the sauce it hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted.
Nutritional values are approximate.