I love my Cuisinart Griddler. It’s the perfect kitchen appliance. I use it to make paninis, hashbrowns, waffles, burgers, eggs… just about anything. My favorite use for it has to be making sandwiches, like this toasted Italian sandwich. The bread gets nice and toasted on the outside, giving me that perfect crunchy bite. The mozzarella cheese gets nice and melted. Top that off with great Italian cold cuts, homemade sun-dried tomatoes and pesto, and I’ve got the perfect lunch.
My favorite bread for sandwiches is hands-down, ciabatta. It has those great airy pockets in it (it reminds me a bit of English muffins, my other favorite bread). It gets fantastically crunchy while still being soft in the middle, like the perfect pizza crust. I like to serve my sandwiches with my quick-fix Italian salad (made without adding meat).
The Griddler is the master of making sandwiches. Also try my sweet-and-savory turkey panini.
Toasted Italian Sandwich
- 1 ciabatta roll sliced horizontally
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 2 slices Mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices Prosciutto
- 1 slice salami
- 1 slice sandwich pepperoni
- 1 slice Capicola
- 1 slice Sopressata
- Heat a large skillet, cast iron skillet or Griddler.
- Place the ciabatta into the skillet cut-side down and toast for a few minutes until the bread starts to get crunchy and brown.
- Spread the top of the roll with pest and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add the cheese and meats to the bottom slice. Return to the skillet to melt the cheese.
- Add the top bun, slice and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.